If one needs to cord four 'threads' (strands of wire) why not hammer a nail into a wooden fence post in the garden, loop the wire around the nail and insert the four cut ends into the chuck of a hand drill? The drill can be wound very easily and with complete control. This seems to work for me when DH is not around to hold the other end.

Cheers,
Shirley T. - Adelaide, South Australia where we are impatiently waiting for some warmer weather with spring in a couple of weeks times.