Hello All!  Now that I've finished a strip of "underwear insertion" (pg 111,
Miniature Bobbin Lace by Snowden), may I ask for a bit of help?  When I took
the strip off the pillow, I was mortified to discover little loops.  Clearly I
have a tensioning problem!  At the top of the strip, where I was following the
roseground "steps" line by line, the work was quite smooth.  Somewhere in the
middle, I found a different (&faster) rhythm by consolidating some of the
steps.  That's where the loops began even though I believed that I was
tensioning just as firmly as when the steps were completed individually.  What
I'd like to understand:  is this a feature that is inherent in roseground
whereby working too many steps on one side actually prevents adequate
tensioning? OR should I continue to consolidate the steps as long as I become
more vigilant about tensioning between the two sides vs the steps in the
middle?  This particular pattern featured passive pairs on each edge, cloth
stit!
 ch & twist in each roseground corner, with half stitch, pin, half stitch in
each center.  Although many of the loops seem to be among the passives,
theoretically they could be smoothed out by pulling on one or more loops, but
that is not the case.  I used YLI Heirloom 70/2 thread.  As to the pins, was
Duchesse lace originally made by children?  No joke--the pins are so tiny, I
felt ham-handed using them.  With such a short shaft, they are very difficult
to grasp let alone maneuver into a pinhole!  Is there a special pin "technique"
for using these little rascals?  Suggestions are welcome so I can improve on my
next sample.  Many thanks.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Palm Beach Gardens, FL USA

Sent from my iPad