Oh dear, I missed the pin instructions on pg4!  Who doesn't just leap to the
pricking that calls one's name?  (vbg).  My fault for "practicing" with the
Duchesse pins--I just used them as regular pins, rather than pushing them down
on a cookie pillow.  My "go to" pins are the Iris superfein.  I was trying to
get a feel for using the Duchesse pins so that I could handle them efficiently
when I switch to my small roller pillow.  This roller pillow is an eye-catching
purple with ribbon rosette trim & when used with my beaded Mechlin bobbins, the
whole set up is a magnet during a demo.  Since these miniature edgings use only
a few pair, I figured I could stay on task even when interrupted with
questions.  The Duchesse pins are actually a solution to my previous problem
with gathered passives on a footside when using the roller.  If I understand
you correctly, Duchesse pins should be reserved for pushing all the way down
into the pillow.  Can do!  Since I couldn't pull up the loo!
 ps in my sample, perhaps they are not in the passives after all?  It was a
forest of pins indeed!  It looks like I need to take a pic & zoom in on my
monitor because I cannot ferret out the thread paths even with glasses &
magnifiers.  As to consolidating the roseground steps, I worked thru the
passives, back out to the edge, then thru the cloth stitch & twist "corner" &
tensioned the whole lot on one side before switching to the other side to
repeat.  Working in the middle, the "rose" itself doesn't lend to any
consolidation.  It doesn't seem like 2.5 rows of cloth stitch should be too
much to tension but something clearly went awry.  I am very fond of roseground
so would like to improve my technique.  Finding a reliable way to speed it
up--without loops--would be even better!  The next time I work this pattern, I
do want to try it on the roller.  In the meantime, while my sample isn't going
to win any lacemaking prizes (!!), it doesn't look half bad with 2mm silk
ribbon w!
 oven thru so will suit my purposes for a CQ block.  Thank you for your
 suggestions Adele.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Palm Beach Gardens, FL USA

Sent from my iPad

>From Adele:

I wonder if when you consolidated you started making a several stitches before
tensioning, because yes, that could have made little loops, but the loops
probably wouldn’t be in the passives at the edges. Usually the edge passives
are the easiest to tension.