I think this discussion is going in the wrong direction. We don't need
young 'artists' to  continue the art of lacemaking. If you come right
down to it, it is not really an 'art form' like a painting you put on a
wall. It never really was, it was mainly something to decorate clothing
or household linens. It was more a beautification of a utilitarian item,
not something you hung on a wall. Yes there is some of that now made,
but it wasn't considered an art form that could be collected, or that
increased in value.
What we need is to encourage young people to study lace and become
designers or teachers. Publish patterns, write books, but going in the
direction of making it into an art form, and make a living out of just
making items is not going to work. Really, most ordinary people don't
spend money on these kind of things, unless they want some handmade lace
to add to a wedding veil, or a christening gown. Even there, most of the
time it is machine made lace that gets used (think royal wedding gowns).
But you can make a living by designing patterns and selling them. And
even there you can go the 'artistic' route, but to try and make a living
selling finished lace items is just not an option, most art is bought by
very rich people who could care less about a lace item, or it is an art
installation put up by a big company or a government. But those things
are rare, and not something where as an artist you can make money.
Really, to replace the people that we are losing, we need designers and
teachers, not 'artists'. And we should not be letting them think they
can make money selling their creations, but they can by selling the
patterns. Knitters, crocheters, quilters and for that matter tatters
don't make a lot of money selling their finished products, I hear them
all complaining that people don't want to 'pay' for labour, often not
even enough for the materials. But they have no problem selling the
patterns, and/or writing books. It just takes too many hours to create
and item, which means you can't get even minimum wage for your labour.

*Marianne*

Marianne Gallant
Vernon, BC Canada
m...@shaw.ca