> She recently was in Slovenia and took lessons there.  She reports that the
> bobbins must be wound left-handed (backwards to us right-handed people).
> Also, the thread does not stay well unless the bobbins are wound full.

When I was teaching the one thing I did try to insist on was that students
wound their bobbins “English style” ie clockwise looking down on the head
and that also making the hitch “English style”.  That was so that if I
needed to work at their pillow the bobbins would lengthen by turning in the
expected direction.  It’s not that clockwise or anti-clockwise is correct or
incorrect, it’s just being consistent, but also a left hand hitch on a
bobbin wound right handed, or vice-versa just does not hold.

If you are used to Midlands bobbins with the extra groove in the head where
the hitch goes you are probably also used to making a double hitch (not two
single hitches!) but generally that doesn’t work on a bobbin where the hitch
is made over wound thread, that only needs a single hitch.  But if a bobbin is
running low and the wooden neck is exposed than try the double hitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/bobbins/bobbins.html
<http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/bobbins/bobbins.html>

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com