RSN = Royal School of Needlework, located at Hampton Court Palace,  England.

There is an article in the August/September 2016 magazine  "Stitch",
published in England by The Embroiderers' Guild for sale to the public
(available
at some local U.S.-located Barnes & Noble book stores)  -- about a school
supported by the Wemyss Clan/family, near Fife  Scotland, that has been in
operation since 1877.  The founding of this  small school that prepared up to
36 local girls per 6-month session for a  vocation, was inspired by the
Royal School of Needlework's founding in  1872.

The RSN has always taught needle lace as a part of their curriculum, so I
was interested to see what this very small long-lasting school offers.  It
now is mainly individual crewel embroidery workshops, with some  Goldwork
and other specialty subjects.  Wemyss Castle, and this  separate free-standing
school on the Main Street of  Coaltown-of-Wemyss (open 3 days per week),
are possible destinations for  anyone traveling in Scotland.  The website says
they  welcome groups - by reservation, as well as individuals.
http://www.wemyssneedlework.co.uk/

Why am I writing to lacemakers about Goldwork embroidery?   Because of the
variety of metal threads for special effects in both  lace and embroidery.

Since lace and embroidery have traveled together on magnificent  textiles
through the centuries, they benefit from being thought about  together.  The
relationship between Goldwork embroidery and gold lace,  is reflected in
some of the thousands of needlework books in my  private library.

Embroiderers' Guilds around the world have long offered classes  using
metal and metallic threads.  Their teachers are a good resource  for locating
gold threads in various nations.  Anyone interested in making  gold lace might
like to try a small kit intended for Goldwork embroiderers,  since the
materials in quantity are expensive.

An introductory kit prepared by a RSN teacher/book author, Helen  McCook,
is available from Wemyss.  It would provide exposure to  using the threads
and methods that embroiderers use, especially if you would  like to learn to
combine the two skills in an item like the Layton  Jacket at the Victoria and
Albert Museum.  This jacket was  reproduced at Plimoth Plantation in
Massachusetts, and has been displayed  in the U.S. in recent years.  Mostly
crewel
embroidery on linen, you  will see couched gold thread and gold spangles on
the surface of the  fabric.  Our member, Devon, made some of the gold
bobbin lace on this  jacket.  http://www.plimoth.org/jacket

Thus, my suggestion to those of you who favor making metal laces.   You'll
find ample opportunities to explore gold embroidery in many nations, and
you can become an ambassador for gold laces to members of any Goldwork
stitching classes you take.  Please bring favorite photos of some  of the
finest
gold wire laces to such a class.  You may recruit new  lacemakers, if you
share one of the very best:  http://lauransundin.com/

Christmas Shopping for a friend who "has everything"?  Check  out the shop
at:
http://www.royal-needlework.org.uk/

Has this information been interesting to you?  If you do not write a
response, we do not know!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center