YES! I agree with you Lorelei! I am very dubious of any attribution of a
date earlier than 19th C to any lace with the braided grounds of modern
Val. I think it is very likely that pre-19th C Val wasn't differentiated
from Binche. In the first half of the 19th C, Val and Binche morphed into
the versions we see today. I have a piece of what looks like 18th C Binche
or even earlier, except that it has arcs of tallies as in the later "fairy
lace" version of Binche, so maybe Binche started to develop as a distinct
lace somewhat earlier. It is a recent purchase on eBay--I will post a
picture on Flickr when I get my act together.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA