Nancy, I love the idea of “off fabric embroidery”, although a different
way to go with this is that needle lace is “looping”, a form of which goes
back to the earliest human ancestors.
The entire word “lace” is becoming confusing in regard to what we do. It
implies something to the public that is white and has holes, regardless of the
substance that is used to make it, like wrought iron lace, for the metal work
on balconies, or ceramic lace for ceramic that is white with holes. Meanwhile,
I see it in terms of a textile structure, and which is frequently not white.
So, I may point to a piece of Lauran Sundin’s work, or Ros Hills work and
call it lace, whereas a normal person will then respond, “where is the
lace?” This is an issue with the contemporary lace exhibit that I am
proposing. I am trying to write a proposal for a show featuring contemporary
art made in bobbin or needle lace techniques. But, for one thing, bobbin and
needle lace techniques have nothing in common, other than being refined
textile techniques, if you do not reference their historical convergence in
luxury white neckwear.
Devon