I have just been told about this project to create commemorative poppies, and
thought I’d post it in case anyone wants to participate:
https://5000poppies.wordpress.com/

Here’s a quick intro from the website: we are in the throes of planning our
final installation at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra in 2018.  While
I can’t give you details of the installation … I can tell you that it will
be a spectacularly fitting tribute to those who served and sacrificed, their
families, their communities and in a way, the whole nation … I can’t tell
you how excited we are!

This wonderful community led, community driven project has been a testament to
the depth of feeling we have for our ANZACS … and Marg and I cannot thank
you enough for your continued support of our efforts.  It’s been quite a
journey and we are justifiably proud of what we have all achieved as an
incredible team.

So we will have one last huge push … to create approx 62,000 poppies on
stems in honour of the fallen in WWI to be planted in Canberra on Remembrance
Day 2018.  It will take a huge community effort to pull it together … but
first the poppies …

Patterns for knitted, crocheted, felted, machine-embroidered and felted
poppies are at: https://5000poppies.wordpress.com/poppy-patterns/

I am thinking of participating as my paternal grandmother’s two brothers had
emigrated to Australia just before WWI, and so fought with the Australian
troops. Thankfully both survived.

Sue

suebabbs...@gmail.com