I saw the question.
A year or two ago the Met had a Vigee LeBrun exhibit. She was the artist who
painted the French aristocracy right up to the Revolution and even beyond, as
she also fled. I thought it would be interesting to have a viewing of lace
such as in the paintings. Most of it was Alencon, though. I do recall a piece
that was bobbin lace and I recall thinking that it looked like a good
candidate to be done in point ground, because it was largely mesh with only
tiny motifs around the edge, but, it was actually Valenciennes.
I went looking for the pictures, but I can’t find them.
However, the lace at that time was all this tiny motifs and edges. I have a
lace collection that includes samples purchased over the years, dated by
knowledgeable dealers and collectors. So, I just had a look through them.
Incredibly most of the tiny motif lace that I have is Mechlin, although you
don’t know it unless you look at it with strong magnification. However I
have found one piece that is point ground. A previous dealer has written Lille
1760-1790 on it.
I suppose it is possible that it is Empire style. It has some suspicious
looking leaves on it, sort of like laural.. Do you want me to share a photo,
possibly on Ning?
Devon