Thank you Alex and Devon for chiming in on the question of beginning of the
point ground laces. Devon, it would be interesting to see your pictures. It
seems reasonable that the lighter, airier fashion in the late 1700s with
tiny sprigs lent itself to the double thread ground c-t-t-t as opposed to
the 4-thread grounds like Droschel, Mechlin and Valenciennes. Santina
Levey: Lace A History, p. 71: "...the eighteenth century saw a steady
reduction in the density of pattern" but says nothing about the
construction. The first mention of simple, twist net ground is Fig 352
showing Lille lace from ca.1800.  Judyth Gwynne writes in The Illustrated
Dictionary of Lace p. 32 about blonde: Laces with fond simple ground
(1754-93)... with no reference to where that information came from.
The price of linen certainly also could have contributed to using less
thread, as well as the beginnings of the machine made point ground like
nets. Hannover and Eslykke both say the point ground Tønder laces are
imitating Arras lace around 1800, but I cannot find reference to Arras lace
history.

Karen - currently in Washington DC, where my lace books reside.