Dear Shirley and others interested in threading a needle.
The simplest way to know you are using the wrong side of the needle is when the
thread doesn’t go through the eye of the needle, assuming of course you have
lined everything up properly.  Simply roll the needle between your thumb and
first finger until the other side of the eye is facing you and again  push your
thread through the eye.  Should work just fine.  Sometimes for me that still
doesn’t work and then I check the end of the thread for minute fibers hanging.
Trim the thread, re-dampen (spit works for me), pinch the end of your thread
and aim for the eye.  Victory is in your grasp!
Best regards,
Carol Melton
West of Phoenix, AZ USA
Valley of the Sun