This was always a mystery to me until I joined EGA (Embroiderers’ Guild of
America) where I learned how needles are made.  As Brenda noted, there is a
right side & a wrong side created during the manufacturing process.  The
manufacturers try to remove the microscopic burs that are formed on the wrong
side by polishing.  Some are more successful than others!  Better quality
needles generally have fewer problems so “invest in the best” for hand sewing.
Also, use the correct needle!  There are many types & sizes, specifically made
for certain tasks.  Eyes may be round, short oval, oval or long oval.  To
easily thread most needles, lay a length of thread over the shaft of the needle
& pull sharply, grasping both thread ends firmly between thumb & forefinger.
Slide the crisply folded thread off the shaft & lay the eye of the needle over
the fold you are pinching.  If the thread doesn’t pop up thru the eye, flip the
needle over & try the other side.  My beginning Crazy Q!
 uilt students all mastered this in their first session so it can’t be rocket
science!  For bulky threads such as chenille or cords, it is often easier to
use a needle with an oval or long oval eye.  Cut a TINY strip of paper
(ordinary copy machine paper works fine) & slip it over the cut end of the
thread.  Insert the folded end of the paper into the eye on an angle & draw
thru.  The thread end that was trapped in the folded paper should now be
threaded.  Lastly, store your needles correctly.  “The Needle Index”, designed
by Valley Quail Chapter EGA, Walnut Creek CA is the best way.  Needles are
arranged by type.  There are good descriptions of characteristics, uses, sizes
etc.  Invaluable IMHO!  I’m a very satisfied customer.  Hope this helps.
Sincerely, Susan Hottle USA

Sent from my iPad