Most sewing machine needles do have the flat side on the shank to correctly
align the needle in the machine (some industrial machine needles are round)
but also machine needles have a groove down the front (rounded side of the
shank) to accommodate the thread as the needle pierces the fabric.  The scarf
or indentation on the back of the needle is to allow the shuttle hook to get
very close to the thread.

Machine needles are always threaded from front to back of the needle,
although on a lot of machines the needle is positioned sideways so that
threading might go left to right or right to left, but it’s always from
front (rounded side of shank) to back.  I don’t know, but I’ll guess that
the shanks are flattened before the eyes are punched.  That would make the
needle more stable is it is being punched and ensure that subsequent threading
would go in the same direction as the punching went.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine_needle
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine_needle>

> I think the flat side is to be sure the needle is positioned
> exactly right for the mechanism that makes the stitch. If the needle were
> rotated the slightest amount, the thread wouldn't be hooked and there'd
> quickly be a thread jam.

Brenda in Allhallows

paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk