Dear Jane,
Thank you for this long explanation of the origins of your mother, Pat Read
and Lucy Kincaid’s book Milanese Lace: an Introduction.
The linkage with the Maidmonts confirms one of my theories, that there were
various linkages to the early 20th century lace revival in the lace revival of
the late 20th century. I have just checked my tattered copy of Milanese Lace
and see that it was published in 1988. I remember the first time I saw it.
(Sort of like the Kennedy assassination, everyone remembers where they were.)
I was taking a class in Crane House, an historic house in Montclair, NJ which
met at night. This was my “night out” when my husband watched our small
daughter, born in 1985. Somebody showed me the book and I was transformed.
Having only done Torchon before this, the idea of the design possibilities of
Milanese tape lace was overwhelming. It was among the most historic of laces,
but many of the designs were very contemporary, the best of both worlds. I
remember marveling with my teacher over the Peasant Girl figure on p. 126.
Indeed there were very few things in that book that were not motifs.
And just when you thought things couldn’t get any more interesting, New
Braids and Designs in Milanese Lace came out in 1994, with color in the
designs.
Louise Colgan and Sandi Woods continued the progression with their work.
I think for the general public, they would see the pieces from the first book,
all in white as lace. But the colored pieces they would not identify as lace.
Do we identify them as lace?
Devon