> 1. Who taught you to make lace?

My first teacher was a woman who, unfortunately, died young of cancer. I
attended lessons with her at a private institute and then moved on to
Government-run evening classes, but still with her as teacher. The woman I
can credit with teaching me most of what I know today is Mrs Edith Grech. I
have been attending lessons with her for about seventeen years, and have
never looked back. She is an excellent teacher as she explains the “why”
everything.

> 2. At what age did you start to learn?

I was nineteen - now I’m 55.

> 3. What attracted you to lacemaking?

Watching the fascinating way Gozitan women threw their bobbins around while
creating something so beautiful when I was still a very young child.

> 4. Where do you see lace going in the future?

I believe it will be more of a hobby for those who can spare the time.

> 5. Why is lace important to you to preserve?

It’s an ago old art and part of our Maltese culture and history.

> I, too, enjoyed the recent discussion tremendously.

Karen in Malta.