Hi Devon,

Well, this may be hubris on my part, but I partially disagree with your
ophthalmologist. He says "You cannot damage your eyes by using your eyes."
Actually, one gradually looses one's ability to focus at distance if one
primarily uses one's eyes for close work. In modern times this has been
largely caused by excessive reading as children and not using our far
vision enough. (In adults who drive, even those of us who read obsessively,
the problem tends not to get worse, but the damage is done by that time.)

This makes sense because focusing is accomplished by muscles behind the
iris pulling on the lens and changing its shape to adjust where the light
rays converge inside the eye. The convergence needs to be exactly on the
retina for sharp focus, so the lens needs to be more rounded to focus on
near objects. This requires the muscles attached to the lens to relax. And
focusing at a distance requires the lens to be flatter, accomplished by the
muscles pulling on the lens and stretching it out slightly. So if one
seldom focuses on distant objects, the muscles atrophy and the ability to
focus on distant objects is lost. Use it or lose it.

Perhaps losing near vision from age and far vision from only focusing close
up was what was meant by "going blind". I can tell you from experience
that, without glasses, one is effectively blind in that condition-- perhaps
one could call it the "Mr. Magoo effect", for those of us of a certain age.

Therefore it is important to look up occasionally while reading, or making
lace or other near work, and look off into the distance, to keep those
muscles active.

So I partially disagree with your ophthalmologist: you can damage your eyes
if you use them in an imbalanced manner.

Nancy,
nit-picking in Connecticut, USA  :-)