Hi Susan:

Normally I don’t use support pins in Binche; I have learned tensioning methods
that work well for me. Of course, when I am in a class taught by a support pin
fanatic, I use them. Life is easier that way.

Here’s the thing - if I understand your description, you’re cloth-stitching
across a row inside a motif, at the end you drop the weaver, take the next pair
to it and cloth stitch back across the row. When you get to the end, tensioning
that row pulls against the first weaver, pulls it away from the edge of the
motif, and creates a hole. That does not happen if, while you tension, you hold
down that first weaver. The two pairs pull against one another and the tension
is nice and even. Now, it does round off the corner of the row a little bit,
but you’re not looking for a 90 degree angle anyway; you want a nice, rounded,
filled motif.

One of the fun things about these types of laces is that you will often make 2
or 3 rows before there’s a pinhole. Yes, it does work! You can make 3 rows, put
up a pin, and use that to tension all 3 rows. I find that satisfying and
exhilarating, but don’t do it in a class where you’re expected to put in
support pins; the teacher will get really excited, and not in a good way.

I think the secret when you learn these laces is: 1. Don’t obsess; it will take
the joy out of your lacemaking. Tension as best you can and then move on. and
2. Get lots of practice. Many lacemakers just make a few short samples and call
it a day. Pick a pattern and make a couple of feet of it; long enough for you
to go through the pattern many times, and then you’ll be much more comfortable
with the process.

Hope this helps.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC