Dear Jo,
In 2018, I read an unpublished manuscript held by an American museum which has
details for reproducing all the laces in Whiting's sampler.  At about the
same time, I heard (a rumor?) that a lace guild in England - not American -
had also deciphered all the Whiting laces and that was why the manuscript I
read has not been published.  Perhaps those who know more about this can give
us American and English status reports?
I have not heard that either manuscript has been made available.  That could
be misleading.  I am not informed about all lace developments.
When lace research - requiring many hours of volunteer work - has already been
done but not published, it is important to not have additional people doing
research that has already been done.  We just do not have enough qualified
lace experts to over-kill a topic of this complexity!

This is an example of a problem we can communicate about on Arachne and help
come to a positive solution.
Because of terrible AOL/Gmail interface problems, due to Arachne's limited
programming, I am bcc-copying this to my usual private list of Gmail users,
including those who volunteer at museums.
If there are others who are Gmail users who would like to be on my list to
receive bcc's, please write to me.
Jeri Ames in Maine USALace and Embroidery Resource