I have few older handkerchiefs so I'm like Devon -- I can't say for sure,
but I think in the ones I have that have gathered corners, there's a quite
visible join. (They are in storage but I will try to dig them out soon.) I
do know that the flat corners are a recent development (i.e., starting in
the mid-20th C), and I agree with Devon, I think lassen may be a recent
development dating from trying to make a continuous flat circular or square
edging -- i.e., no older than mid-20th C. If this is true then there would
be finer thread available (although I'm not sure about the 6-times finer),
because modern straight lace edging is typically worked not much finer than
about 140/2 Egyptian cotton, and there's 185/2 Egyptian cotton readily
available, and I even saw 210/2 Egyptian cotton somewhere recently.

This needs a little research I'd say. Interesting question.

Nancy
Connecticut, USA