A quick google search reveals that the Magdalen laundry existed in NYC as
Janice says and that many people sent their laundry there. I think one would
have to access the Memoirs of Harriet Starr Cannon, the leader of the house, to
find out about lacemaking since recent scholarship tends to minimize lacemaking
in order to concentrate on such details as bread and water diets, gagging and
being locked up for dancing at Coney Island. If it were normal times I would
put in a request to my local library for inter library loan. Thanks to Janice
for this intriguing bit of info.
Devon