Here's where it came from:
        Others however are more or less combinations of both samatha and...

You will find in dictionaries that "more or less" is an idiom that functions as one adverb. In the above, it means "to some degree". In http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/more+or+less, we find an example: This room is more or less an extra - we don't really need it.

kb