As best I remember, this was the sequence:

1. I could not discard changes in GitHub Desktop. (I cannot remember the
message that GitHub Desktop gave, all I know is that I wanted to discard
changes.)

2. Because I did not find an answer using my favourite search engine, I
contacted GitHub support and asked for help. (I do not have a copy of that
message.)

3. Support person contacted me and I sent log files.

4. Support person replied:
-------------
Thanks for sending that over. I think the discard is failing due to the merge
conflicts in the grammar.xml file:

        2016-04-21 11:32:28.5018|WARN|thread: 1|StandardUserErrors|Showing user
error Failed to create a new commit.
        GitHub.IO.ProcessException: error: commit is not possible because you
have unmerged files.
        hint: Fix them up in the work tree, and then use 'git add/rm '
        hint: as appropriate to mark resolution and make a commit.
        fatal: Exiting because of an unresolved conflict.
languagetool-language-modules/ca/src/main/resources/org/languagetool/rules/ca/grammar.xml

I would take a look at that file to see if you can remove the conflict markers.
There's likely a way we can force the changes to the file to be removed as
well, if you're interested in taking that step. We have a guide for resolving
conflicts here:

https://help.github.com/articles/resolving-a-merge-conflict-from-the-command-line

5. I used command line to deal with the conflict. Because I did not know which
part of the file was correct, I copied the content from languagetool-org. Then
added for staging and committed.

6. And I have been going round in circles since then. But, now I know a lot
more about Git <grin>.

Mike