@Mike, looks like I was wrong about the .gitattributes file. :)

Last night (for me) I had the same experience of not being able to discard
from GitHub Desktop.  Now I know it's caused by files that have failed to
merge!

The way I handled the merge conflicts in your repo was to use notepad++ to
search the entire repo for files that had "<<<<" in them.  Once I had
located the two files in a bad state, I basically split each file into two
text files and used Winmerge to compare them.  After that I knew the stuff
in each file to keep and what to delete.  I committed those changes. After
that pulled latest from the languagetool-org repo to make sure everything
could merge.  Indeed, there was one additional merge conflict.  After using
Winmerge to sort out the differences, I made a second commit and sent you
the pull request.

I've used GitHub Desktop in the past and never ran into a bug, although it
was never my primary tool.  Normally I use my IDE to interact with version
control.  I'm currently using IntelliJ for working on LT, so it's a whole
new learning curve, but one major advantage to using the IDE is they
normally either have diff tools integrated or allow you to set a diff tool
for handling merges.  To be honest, I think merge conflicts are rare, but
finding a tool to help with merges might avoid this in the future.

In any case, cheers!
Ryan