On 01/19/07 12:45, Manish Kathuria wrote:
My experience has been mixed. The patch worked very well in many cases
but in some it worked only if the first hop gateway was down and not
any of the subsequent hops. So as you mentioned its happening since it
can ping the switch / modem, it thinks the link is good. You can make
a script which will keep on running in the background and check it the
links are up or not and if any of the links is down, it can change the
default route and provide a failover.

I have been tasked with writing such a script. In my scenario, I'm taking it a bit further though. I am planing on having my script test the actual service that I'm trying to connect to. I.e. connect to port 80 and request a page. I'm having to go this route because I've had sporadic MTU issues in one of our (primary) paths. The provider is suppose to be repairing the problem, however I need a solution before that can happen.

I am planing on writing a small daemon, probably in Perl, that will run the tests. What I don't have a good way to do is alter the routing tables, short of shelling out and running ip directly. I would like to know if any one knows of any other way to alter the routing tables / rules short of calling a shell command.

Grant. . . .