Hello Arthur,
thanks for the investigation. It seems you are right.
If I open the file selection dialogue for the rtf file by clicking on
"...", the pre-filled file-ID has the .tex extension, not the .rtf
extension. I am no C++ expert, but at a look into the source code of the
latex2rtf gui shell it seems to me that the handling of the "..."
buttons is not correct.
I will test my fix as soon as possible.

Furthermore, the latex2rtf converter should not open the same (.tex)
file for writing if it is already opened for reading. I will try to fix
this, too.

Regards
Wilfried