The benefits are that you can see the signal change during the 120 second acquisition
time.  You could see a 200 hz signal oscillate back and forth for example.  This is
the approach taken by the JTFA (joint time frequency analysis) toolkit.  They use
gabor spectrograms that take gaussian windows of the data.  There is a tradeoff
between response time (ie time to put that frequency on the screen) and accuaracy (ie
long data sets).  The overlapping FFT with exponential averaging is a tradeoff but it
all depends on the requirements of the job.

If you want real time display then you can't wait for that long 120 second acquisition
time.  Also if you want information about frequency changes within that 120 seconds.

-Scott