>It will be some work, but something like the evaluation done by NI on the
different submissions.  My vote is >evaluation for not only minimum time
but memory foot print etc.  For the 1st NI challenge I was just out of the
top >10, but I was about 0.1% of the size of any of the top 10.  I always
thought that should count for something.

I think the fastest entries in this contest will also be very lean
memorywise.  This problem does not benefit from the lookup table techniques
that worked so well in the NI challenge.

>next is average speed on multiple platforms..... :-)
>(mine is still in the 20 mS range, but given that the peecee has a factor
of 2 better compiler, and this is on an >old 800 Mhz machine, it might come
close to the posted times).  It may be very interesting to create the
executable >and then profile it with some of the high end (not NI)
performance tools.

The best way to estimate your speed is to run both the example and your vi
on your machine.  Multiply the ratio of these by the speed of the example
on the official machine (1008.6 ms).  This should give you a decent
prediction of your official time, despite the differences in hardware.  It
worked for me.  My ratio here at home predicted my official time quite
well.  In fact, you may want to make a small change to your copy of "Time
Remove Backspace.vi" to have it estimate the official time for you.

Paul Brown