On 2016-11-07 19:25, vfclists . via Lazarus wrote:
> computing industry has been try to shoehorn every da*n thing into
> Javascript and HTML, and who knows what the industry "leaders" will come up
> in their bid to fit square pegs into round holes and channel users into

Exactly, and there is no reason to follow those idiots - I know I don't.
INF (by IBM) and HLP (by Microsoft) was designed from the ground up as
help file formats. The are very good at what they do. Having studied
both in depth, I think IBM did a much better job, and has more features
than HLP had. The only mistake IBM made was that the developed a crappy
INF viewer. That's were DocView fills the gap - much more modern and
user friendly INF viewer.

> BTW, is there an INF to HTML convertor that would enable documentation to
> be developed in INF then translated to HTML for those who want dumbed down
> display systems?

That totally defeats the point of a descent and useful help viewer.
Saying that, I have implemented an export option for DocView where you
can export selected help topics to plain text. I'm also busy writing a
new exporter using the new fcl-pdf package, so DocView can export
selected topics to PDF.

The idea of this export functionality is to easily print or collate
information (help topics) of interest in one condensed file. I don't
really use this too much these days, as DocView also supports Bookmarks,
which is simply faster.

Creating a exporter for HTML shouldn't be hard either, but I think the
PDF format will be much more useful, and like INF, everything (text and
images) are contained in a single file.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/