Op 16-06-17 om 22:58 schreef Wolf via Lazarus:
now I understand the real bug is in my assumptions on what goes on behind the screens. But that leads to another question: is there any documentation where I can read up on this so that I may improve on my programming, and particular debugging, skills?

Well, it's not that this behavior is hidden. It's even documented: https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refch17.html.
So you could read the pure documentation....

There's also a wiki about this issue: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Avoiding_implicit_try_finally_section

But I doubt that this is what you meant.

You asked this on the Lazarus-list, but this is more a question for the fpc-pascal list. What you could do is follow this list, or maybe even fpc-devel. You can also browse the archives.

You can learn a lot from there.

Regards,

Joost.