Juha,

Thanks for the info about tree views. I had attempted to alter the theme on
Linux with Qt4 widgetset and a stylesheet argument on the command line and
I noticed the tree views were not taking on the styles I defined. I think
they probably need to be adjusted to respect system colors at the minimum.

Regarding changing the OS theme to change the application theme, in some
cases this is undesirable. For example some paint type programs, and even
some code editors, use their own independent theme to subdue their interface
<http://cache.getlazarus.org/images/photoshop.png> making the work more
prominent. In these types of situations it's not reasonable to retheme the
entire OS, rather just retheme an individual application. And of course in
these situations an application theme is often a matter of personal taste,
so the actual styling should be externalized. What we're left with is the
logical solution, to support application level user defined theme
information in external styling files.