On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:05:06 +0100, Martin Frb via lazarus
<lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>On 16/03/2023 07:53, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>> The install seems to have worked, but seeing this release comment I
>> now have to
>> ask if 3.2.2 is a *requirement* for proper operation or if it just happens
>> to be
>> what you used when building?
>>
>> Do I have to change my fpc installed version and rebuild Lazarus to have it
>> work
>> properly?
>
>No, its not. Currently 3.2.0 is the minimum supported. (All else before
>is your own good luck, or the absence thereof).
>
>We usually support:
>- the current fcp release (at the moment 3.2.2)
>- the previous release (3.2.0)
>- fixes branch and main branch / for both support may lack a few days,
>if there are breaking changes.
>
>Though, we do more/most testing with the current release. Issues that
>are 3.2.0 only usually only get attention when reported.
>On the other hand, issues that are only 3.2.0 are usually "doesn't
>compile at all" (and IIRC we have a CI task for that now).

OK, then my next question is:

I have a number of Lazarus releases installed where 3.0.4 is the fpc used.
So they all used the same and there was no problem.
(This is on Ubuntu Linux 22.04 btw and I install everything from sources)

But if I now install fpc 3.2.2 as well I will have 3 different versions of the
compiler and the Lazarus-es are set up to use different versions (3.0.4 and
3.2.0 respectively).
It seems like Lazarus on first start needs to determine the location etc of fpc
and it saves it inside the pcp dir of the respective version.

But it also seems like on each system there is only one version of fpc that can
be "active" (at least on Linux) because its config is stored outside of the pcp
dir in a user global fashion.
How can I make the fpc compiler versions co-exist and be recognized by the
respecive versions of Lazarus?

And how can I change the newly installed Lazarus version 2.2.6 to use fpc 3.2.2
(when it is installed) rather than the 3.2.0 that it found during first start?
That screen is never again displayed....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden