On Friday 05 February 2010 16:35, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 5 February 2010 16:30, JoshyFun <joshy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because in that case you are "fooling" the text content and prone to
> > errors because the control must handle every possible way to get the
>
> In fpGUI we introduced a new property called TfpgEdit.ExtraHint
>
> That way it doesn't interfere with the actual text content - no matter
> how it is set. The ExtraHint text is painted directly onto the
> TfpgEdit background. But then again in fpGUI I have full control over
> all components design - I don't know the various LCL backends and
> there limitations on doing things.
>
> Painting directly onto TEdit's background canvas - is that what you
> are having issues with under GTK2?

It's because ws paints such control (same like under qt), you can paint on it
whatever, but at the end your changes won't be visible since ws theme painter
do the job.
At the end of this page http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan you can
find the way how to cheat qt (so maybe there's similar way with gtk2), and
have own paintings, but LCL doesn't provide eg. OwnerDraw property for
TCustomEdit, or some result from paint message, where ws should know how to
paint control (does ws paint , or we cheat it and we made our custom
painting).

zeljko