Dimitri Smits wrote:
Waldo Kitty wrote:
On 5/28/2010 05:03, Bee Jay wrote:
On 27 Mei 2010, at 18:56, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

I don't think we will do this. It will require too many changes.
Yes, I've seen the code. fpWeb has a very tight dependency to other fcl
packages. Poor Delphi people. ;)
serve's'em right... what's that old saying? ya get what ya pay for? i think
 getting a whole lot more for free is much better... wonder what it costs
to get the full sources to delphi? :lol: :P

where everybody gets the idea that Delphi does not provide web frameworks, I
don't get. Websnap, other frameworks, standard Apache mod projecttypes
(templates) for 1.3, 2.0 and 2.2, CGI...

and that was just in D7 already!

God (and Delphi 2010 buyers) know(s) what they have in there nowadays!

On the other hand, why anybody would want to develop new webapps (on new
db's) in delphi or fpc for that matter seems a bit like a
one-tool-in-my-toolbox mindset. "If all you have/know is a hammer, every
problem looks like a nail."

When your language is a kick ass swiss army knife on steroids for everything else under the sun, its easy to look first to what you already know and have at hand for the solution.

There are other languages far more suited for webdevelopment! PHP, Perl,
Ruby(-on-rails), java, silverlight.net, ... Especially when the
client(s)/user(s) use small webhosting. While you may find that they offer
php AND CGI, you may not find out the (processor)architecture or flavor of
linux so that you even CAN compile your CGI, let alone run it safely on the
hosting provider's machine(s). You only sometimes have (a somewhat limited)
shell access to their machine anyway. And as for a "product", you need to use
the greatest common denominator anyway. So that pretty much leaves you with
php anyway ;-)

Is it more convenient with interpreted/jited languages to deploy your application? Sure. Would I like FPC apps to be that easy to deploy? Sure. Does it make a difference? Depends on the application I guess. If you're writing a shopping cart to sell to end users, I'd say yes. If you're writing an application in house or substantive enough to deserve a VPS account starting at $20.00 or a dedicated rack box for what, $100? I'd wager that a good portion of end user's web applications will stay on a inexpensive VPS of varying prices/horsepower as use goes up well before a dedicated rack server is required. If/when a rack server becomes necessary, I'd wager it will be a most welcome expense for you/your customer. Please remember to donate to worthy causes :-)

For micro customers:
http://www.webkeepers.com/vps/vps_compare.html

LinNode.  Some gave me this link here or delphi groups:
http://www.linode.com/faq.cfm

Dedicated:
http://www.hostingsource.com/advanced_server_plans.php

--