FYI, I have done FPC daemon to run on RPi to communicate with Serial port and the feed the data back to a PC program from time to time via LAN. It is not very difficult. However, I had difficulties using Indy on FPC and eventually gave up. I later moved to lNet because it runs on linux and supports SSL. If I had to redo it, I would do it in synapse, especially if I don't need SSL.

For the loop, I would loop infinitely in the console program.
A better way if you don't mind is to create a few threads. One for collection data and another for communicating on the LAN.

Nowadays, a raspberry pi has much more RAM and faster CPU. It would make it even easier.

For writing daemon, just refer to FPC wiki.

Dennis