On 09/21/2015 02:21 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
I don't know what Lazarus's TTimer uses in the back-end
I do. But this is completely irrelevant regarding what is desirable to offer to the users.

My ActiveNoGui draft does not use any GUI hook and it does work - according to first simple tests.

The "different paradigm" I meant is "event driven programming" that obviously requires an Event queue (but obviously does not require a GUI).

Or on a less sophisticated layer: Why have (force) the user use TTimer in one project and fptimer in another ?

I wholeheartedly disagree with that! There is absolutely NO reason to
pull in the extra dependency when it is NOT needed.

So you are (the only) one here who understand the implications and nonetheless supports the idea of an "ActiveNoGui" Widget Type ?

Maybe it some day could be accepted in Lazarus, but I doubt it, because I think I am able to take the library to a decent level, but I am not able to do the integration in the IDE.

-Michael