Andreas Schneider wrote:
Am 2016-04-02 14:38, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
On 2016-04-02 13:16, Santiago A. wrote:
similar should be done. You would need to make compulsory a command in
source code to tell which code set is using.

As a contract programmer I already struggle working on code where
identifiers, Class names, methods, code comments etc are written in
non-English [I fully agree its their right to do so, as it is not
feasible to think everybody can speak or write English]. But adding
different character sets to the mix will massively increase that hurdle.

I used to strictly oppose non-english code as well. A colleague actually managed
to convince me that there are indeed reasons for "localized" identifiers:
in some projects the customers (usually with some industrial background) have pretty specific wordings or use of the language. If developers now start introducing
their own wording (due to translating back and forth) you complicate the
communication and synchronization between business unit and development team. In such special cases I now "accept" said code style. (Although I still don't
like it ;-))

I think those gains will be limited in scope but the disadvantages are too huge for the general users. Imagine relaxing this requirement, there will probably be new codes/libraries using non-english identifiers and if they become popular later, a lot of end users might be forced to use these non-english libraries.

e.g. if a hash library A uses a non-english identifier for a library to honour the Thai name of the scholar who invented it.
Then an encryption or communication library B uses this library A.
If this library B later becomes popular or a standard, all end users using B will need setup their development environment to support non-english identifiers, although only one of the many hash functions in A has non-english identifiers.

I am chinese myself. I cannot even type a Thai identifier, I will then have to copy and paste the identifier. I could also easily confuse one Thai identifier from another one. Imagine if I write a library with Chinese identifiers, most users won't able to tell apart 2 Chinese identifiers.
e.g.
procedure 賣; {means SELL}
begin
end;