> > one. For the moment I'm sticking on my SQLite+html idea. The html format

> Ça va.

> What about a SQLLite database that stores the help info, and a php
> script that calls that database...

No PHP required really. A CGI program written in Pascal that calls some sort of
database,
and a desktop application that can call that database too. This keeps only one
codebase
needed for the entire help system - the same database is used for both the web
docs and
the desktop docs - just that the desktop doc is using an embedded database
while the web
application may use a real full fledged version of the database. But most
websites will
only need to use an embedded database because 99 percent of all Pascal
applications are
not going to have high traffic websites that require a database that can do
complex
queries fast. Especially on help documents which people will rarely be checking
on the
website, since they have a local copy - the online docs are mainly for
promotional
purposes to get a bunch of keyword heavy pages out on the net promoting your
software.

The reason I currently use Google to search for freepascal documentation on the
RTL
instead of using my local copy of my help documents, is because Google itself
is my
database that powers the search of the freepascal documentation. Some of you
just
use grep maybe - I laugh at those people. But if I had a proper local database
there would be no need to search google. Whether the database is a CHM database
or an embedded DBF or SQL database doesn't matter - the disadvantage of CHM is
simply that I can't port CHM to the web database in one shot - since a CHM
database
won't work on a website.

And for those special cases where you have a Windows CE computer, that can't
run an
embedded database? Think again, most likely someone has already ported the
database to
Windows CE. CHM format was never intended to work on Windows CE so CHM  be an
external dependency, as you'd have to have the user download an external CHM
reader for
Windows CE.