> > Basically I don't know if lazarus CAN do what I need for this part... and
> > before I can finalize design, I need to know if this will be a form
> > inside the app or a sepperate program altogether acting as a plugin.
>
> I'm not sure that X/The Window manager can do what you want ?
> This is not a Lazarus matter alone.
That part at least I CAN answer. It can, there is a wm hint for this.
The reason I know is that I have done it before.
If you use SDL and create your screen with OR SDL_FullScreen it does exactly
that .
The real question is if you can do this in lazarus - I am pretty sure GTK ALSO
has a function for it (not ABSOLUTELY sure in this case though).

I used the SDL plugin mechanism in direqcafe up to and including version 3.x -
as I am starting on version 4.0 (with new name zycafe) I would LIKE if
possible to do that WITHOUT the SDL dependency though.

In theory somebody with sufficient knowledge of C and xlib should be able to
figure out how it's done by looking at the SDL code, and possibly
implementing something like an fs_FullScreen or perhaps a TFullScreen
component based on it (e.g. a nonvisual component you can drop on a form to
make the form fullscreen which also lets you set parameters like 'grab
keyboard' or such) ?
For windows the sheer AMOUNT of existing full-screen apps suggest there is a
almost certainly a win32 API call for it.

I won't lie and pretend I am good enough at C and Xlib to do it by myself (I
could but I don't have the TIME for all the research I would need to do
first) but if anybody else would have a use for such a function, we could
work together on it.
I have done some xlib work in lazarus before TScreenSize uses it under Linux.

Either way - the consensus seems to be that lazarus cannot do it at present ?

A.J.

--
"80% Of a hardware engineer's job is application of the uncertainty principle.
80% of a software engineer's job is pretending this isn't so."