> I was looking at the relevant source file yesterday and I noticed that if the
> location of the browser isn't specified it's found by brute force. When
> running under Win-32 I've used ShellExecuteEx() which automagically associates
> an http: prefix with an HTML viewer: does anybody know whether KDE etc.
> exposes an API (dcom/dbus etc.) that can do this?

They all do, but none of them share it.
Gnome shares the default browser from gconf, kde you can use kfmclient
which will revert back to the configured one, every other desktop
doesn't do anything like that at all. Pretty much every file manager
not part of either gnome or KDE uses brute force or 'you have to
configure it' approach.
There was an attempt by ESR a few years ago to get a BROWSER
environment variable standardized, so all apps could simply refer to
$BROWSER and get the user's preferred default one. I have no idea why
it didn't take off, but it didn't - sad because it would have been an
ideal solution.
Perhaps the code should be expanded to check for the existence of
$BROWSER first, and THEN start brute-forcing command names ? Other
than that, it really cannot be much better than it is. Sorry.

A.J.