Open Office will have all sorts of users, many of them are individuals with
different tastes. They have favorite OS, theme, etc. Some of them are old,
some have disabilities. It's a vastly heterogeneous population with very
different needs. Each user has his own Desktop Environment and the software
needs to appear "right" in each and every computer. The look and feel may
influence the buying decision.

On the other hand, SAP R/3 is an ERP used by companies. The company does not
want to waste time and money training people for different widget sets. They
want a single, consistent look across the entire company, it's an
homogeneous userbase. Even if there are many OSes, the ERP must look exactly
the same everywhere. The company may even need an odd widget like this one
(from FLTK):

http://www.fltk.org/documentation.php/doc-1.1/Fl_Dial.html

That's my point. Different types of users, different needs. A software with
a diverse userbase, like Open Office, needs to comply to every standard
possible -- even if this costs a few features. A software with a specific
user base, specially an enterprise core application, needs to implement
every feature the user wants, even if this costs a few standards.