> Yesterday I posted a request for a way to improve ifdef handling, but
> the discussion was led astray by my example, and turned into widgesets,
> which was not the real issue.
>
> So I repeat my request:
>
> Sometimes ifdefs are unavoidable, as when they're used to turn on and
> off customer options.
>
> But IDE and fpc are unaware of conditional dependencies, so changing a
> conditional doesn't force a recompile of some units as it would be required.
>
> Of course a Build All is the solution, but if one forgets, one may end
> up with a program which compiles properly, but has a number of
> inconsistencies sometimes hard to detect.
>
> Is there a way to overcome this problem?
> Am I the only one to see it as a problem?
>
> I would gladly contribute an upgrade to implement this feature, but
> advice from experts on where to start from, what to look at, if hooks
> are already available in .lpi or in .ppu or .o files, etc. would be
> highly appreciated.

It has been tried in the past. And it created very confusion situations so it
was disabled. There
are no plans to re-add this feature because it will cause more questions and
problem reports than
it solves.

And also how often is a define changed. In those couple of cases you can simply
press the Build
All or use the command line option -B.

Peter