> As I have mentioned there could be some problem with rsync (which you are
> seeing). However, I recommend checking out the following URL :
> <http://help.bombich.com/faqs/troubleshooting/input-output>
>
> I strongly agree with this articles suggestions of making a backup (ASAP) of
> anything important if you are seeing I/O errors.

The thread listed below on MacWorld also points out this I/O issue :
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100929110958373

Earlier in the year I had a personal experience with the I/O errors on the
internal hard drive in my Laptop. The first symptom of the problem was a lot of
beach balling on Mac OS X.

Then while performing a backup from my internal HD using rsync multiple I/O
errors were reported. I tried to run the backup again. At this point the entire
system crashed. I rebooted the system and it came up. At this point I figured
that running fsck on the disk would be a good idea. I must have some file
system corruption which is causing the issues. After all the S.M.A.R.T status
on the disk was coming up clean and Disk Utility check was also coming up
clean.

I ran fsck it found multiple errors which I asked it to fix. However, when it
tried to write the fixes back to the disk it failed, this resulted in a system
that would no longer boot and a disk which would no longer mount.

Initially, the only programs which were seeing the errors were rsync, fsck. I
found that Tech Tool Deluxe (surface scan) would also spot problems on the
drive even after performing multiple 7 multi-pass erases on the drive.

Then about one month later a college of mine with the same model laptop and
same model drive had exactly the same problem. The only tools for him which
would report the problem with the disk were rsync and Tech Tool Deluxe. Disk
Utility file system check came up clean as did the S.M.A.R.T status on the disk.

In summary, if rsync is reporting I/O errors, then you may have a problem with
your hardware. I strongly suggest investigating further. Before you start
insure you have a backup of any important data on the suspect system or device!