> Does the file system pad lines with spaces?

Yes it does!  It seems that the file is very similar to the old-style IBM
punch cards, where everything had 80 columns, and anything that wasn't
filled in was a space.  The file is filled out to column 81 with spaces,
and the \ is in column 66.  Shouldn't lclint just ignore the whitespace
following the trailing \?

Anthony Giorgio
DBX Developer
Phone: (845) 435-9115