Quoting Marcelo Maraboli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi,

I had this same problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and OpenLDAP 2.4.6, and after
searching everywhere, I found that the problem is in fact an unclean shutdown
forced by the "startup" script (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd stop)

Carefully looking at the code, the script kills the daemon and waits for
a small period of and then starts killing (-9) the remaining processes
(yuck!).
This should work, but somehow it doesn´t wait enough time.

I "fixed" this problem by modifying the shell options adding a (-x), which
forces a slower execution:

#!/bin/bash -x

Hi,

Well, apparently the -x parameter to bash simply means that it will output all script lines to stdout, and that causes the slightly slower execution.

I'm thinking about instead adding the -t parameter to the killproc command (on lines 103 and 109).

-t<sec>
The number <sec> specifies the seconds to wait between the sent signal SIGTERM and the subsequentially signal SIGKILL if the first SIGTERM does not show any result within the first few milli seconds. This defaults to 5 seconds.