Quoting Howard Chu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I see, you're using your own build of OpenLDAP with the startup script
provided by RedHat. That's useful information; you should always
provide complete version info when posting questions.

I wasn't sure what information would help you guys answering my questions. And since I wasn't the one installing OpenLDAP I was not aware that the ldap script was an almost replica of the old one (I noticed that just now).

How do I check what version of BerkeleyDB that our OpenLDAP is using?

Start slapd with "-d1" and look for the startup message. E.g., on my
2.4 build I get:

slapd init: initiated server.
slap_sasl_init: initialized!
bdb_back_initialize: initialize BDB backend
bdb_back_initialize: Berkeley DB 4.6.21: (September 27, 2007)
hdb_back_initialize: initialize HDB backend
hdb_back_initialize: Berkeley DB 4.6.21: (September 27, 2007)

I have no idea when there will be a possibility for me to do this. This is a live server, so I can't start and stop things at my choosing. Is there no command that gives the same output without disturbing slapd that is already running?

Normally slapd (in OpenLDAP 2.3+) will perform whatever recovery is
necessary automatically. The "run manual recovery" message above is
deceptive, but slapd itself will never output that message. (But
slaptest or slapcat may.) So once again, there's something running in
your startup script before the actual slapd invocation that's causing
this failure, and it quite plainly doesn't belong in the script.

Ok, yes the ldap script runs slaptest. But I'm almost certain that
this line was included in the ldap script from the old version as
well, so we haven't added this line our selfs.

Understood. It was probably a bad idea to continue to use anything that
RedHat provided re: OpenLDAP. When you built your own, you should have
completely bypassed everything from their package.

Well, in theory I agree with you. But time is the key here, and we simply didn't have the time (nor the full know-how) to write a new script from scratch. And besides the problems yesterday the one we have has been working just fine. But I will get rid of the slaptest lines, and I will also add -t 30 to the killproc commands (se my previous post).

/Jimi