Oscar,

There is an old saying in business:

If you want to stagnate a company, give control of it to an Accountant. If you want to kill it, give control of it
to a lawyer.

The point is simply this:

Instead of worrying about the theoretical, do what you are doing and when you are done, people can fork
the code and port it for the paranoid - or whomever. Your work has value. Don't forget that. And, you are
actually doing something - not sitting back pontificating from afar.

One other side comment:

I've been knocking around this business since the late 70's and having worked with people from Bell Labs
and other notable places, I can assure you there is no such thing as a secure language. You just have to
select good tools for the job; ones you are comfortable and competent in, and move forward.

...Paul

Oscar Schultz wrote:
After reviewing the urls (the ones that are valid) I did not see anything to
suggest php is any worse or better than any other language.
My number one choice would be to use "c".

The app should support winxx, mac, unix, linux and text (if possible). The app
also must scale from localhost to intranet to internet. The app must also
scale from a few users up to several hundred or more concurrent users.
Security of data is more important than speed or user ease of use. The app
should also require the minimum software installs on the user's machine and
add no additional security risks for the users.

As I have reviewed the various requirements and options basing app on the web
is the best option I see. Feel free to make your suggestions.

My Langauges - c, c++, bash, perl, php, assembler, fortran, pascal, cobal.

I gave up trying to learn java - I just do not have that much time to spend.

Python - it is a great language but counting columns is something I don't do
anymore - too much fortran, assembler, and cobol. Maybe next time.

That leaves php or perl unless someone knows some really cool c and c++
tricks.

That still leaves the problem of how to secure the app and make some of the
user information persistant - no one wants to enter their userid and password
on every form. Cookies and hidden data fields seem to be the only real
option. What are the other options? I have considered having one user enter
the data and a second confirm the data. Right now cookies still look like the
best option.

thanks for the help and comments

oscar