>Message: 5
>From: guitarlynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [Leaf-devel] Re: SF changes TOS
>Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:41:38 -0600

[snip]
>OK, thanks for that info. Around six months ago I was looking into
>helping a couple of Canadian-based projects and they implictely
>stated that due to the US laws on cryt., they appreciated the offer
>but wished to decline due to the possible conflict.
>
>Things may not be true for any other projects and they may have
>changed their minds, but since some of these laws have passed
>within the US I have to respect their concerns :)

Ha! Now I understand. If, for example, you pickup an Intel PRO/100S nic with
168-bit encryption (Made in Malaysia if my memory serves me right) you
should read on the label "Unlawful to export outside US or Canada except
under an approved US Dept of commerce export or applicable license
exception". You will find the exact same warning on a Microsoft high
encryption pack and on different encryption products.

You, as a US citizen will break the law if you do export it to Europe, for
example.

I, as a Canadian citizen, am under license not to re-export this product. It
cannot even go back to the US. (No refund policy :) Trust me, the terms of
the license are basically a direct contract between me and the US
government.

As I stated before, we have no restrictions on cypher strengh, algorithms
and the like. Since you, as a US citizen, implicitly have access to
technology that cannot be exported, these people protected themselves.

It used to be the same thing with France, up until 2 years ago I believe
(Jacques could tell us). There, you could not even 40-bit encrypt a dial-in
connection. Importing the stuff was a crime against the state and I dare not
think what they did to suppliers. On older Microsoft development CDs, for
example, you have French NT Server and then France NT Server. The former for
Canada, Africa, etc. The later for France and its territories. So I guess
some of these people mean business.

Regards,

Serge Caron