On 2/14/02 at 3:41 PM, guitarlynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 February 2002 15:45, Serge Caron wrote:
>
> > As a Canadian citizen, I do not know what you are taking about. We
> > have NO restrictions on cryptography and our copyright laws are
> > pretty much in sync with the international community.

> OK, thanks for that info. Around six months ago I was
> looking into helping a couple of Canadian-based projects
> and they implicitly stated that due to the US laws on
> crypto, they appreciated the offer but wished to decline
> due to the possible conflict.

Things may have changed with the new laws...

Under the old laws, U.S. citizens could not export strong crypto
outside of the United States.  The author of PGP got into a heaping
big lot of trouble over this as his web site allowed non-US citizens
to download his code.  The author of a crypto algorithm book got into
trouble when he put his code on disk - the disk could not be exported,
but the book could (go figure....)

OpenBSD took its development to Canada just for this very reason -
because U.S. export laws were so restrictive.

Many U.S. based products (at one time) had a U.S. version and an
Export version, again, for this very reason - and the Exportable
version had lightweight crypto that could be exported, and the U.S.
version had strong crypto.  This got the software makers into heaps of
public relations trouble as the international community wanted to be
safe from weak crypto that could be broken (some quite easily in the
end) and wanted STRONG crypto.

Even the Linux kernel - all crypto code for the Linux kernel was
hosted in Finland I think it was, again for this reason - but this has
changed in recent years.
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator