Georges:
If you do not feel confortable using Bering, please do not use it.
Bering has been developped by me and Eric as a hobby, on our spare time &
outside of our regular jobs.
Bering is also based on the tremendous work done previously by the LRP & LEAF
community: Dave Cinege, Charles Steinkuehler to name a few and also includes
as a key element Tom Eastep's Shorewall which is - to my opinion - one of the
best designed and supported iptable based firewall product.
A lot of a effort has been put in the doc: see the installation & user's
guide. Most of technical related questions are answered (if time permits)
with the help of the LEAF community through the mailing list. A developper's
manual is on my todo list but it also a fact that people are  for some
strange reason always quicker to criticize that to help writing up a chapter
of the user's guide ...
Jacques